1. Visit the International Riyadh Book Fair. The fair starts 6th March and runs through the 16th, open daily from 10 am to 10 pm at the Riyadh International Exhibition Center. There is an English books section, a female only area and an excellent children's book and activity area. Be sure to check out the religious police's hilarious stall where they display confiscated items such as T-shirts and poker chips.
2. Go to the desert! Spring is almost over and now is the time to see the desert in full bloom and the weather is not too hot yet. Easy to reach even with two wheel drives are the Red Sands area on Mecca highway and Thumamah sand dunes and park in the North. For further expeditions out of the city try Rawdhat Khuraim, directions in desert treks tab.
SCTA is holding an exhibition "Recovered National Antiquities" in conjunction with the events of Al Janadriyah Heritage and Cultural Festival 2012 until the 12th of March at the National Museum. Around the museum you will find lovely parks and fountains perfect for a stroll. http://www.imagesofsaudi.blogspot.com/search/label/National%20museum
4. Visit a compound function. For the expat ladies in Riyadh there are monthly coffee mornings in compounds such as Kingdom and Jadawel. Kingdom compound has the largest expat bazaar in Riyadh every first Monday of the month(5th March) and Jadawel 11th March. This month there's also a bazaar at Cordoba on the 15th and a craftsmarket at Najdi compound on the 21st.
5.Go watch the horse races at Riyadh Equestrian Club!
Located next to the Janadriyah village, the Riyadh Equestrian Club is open and free entrance for all. Races start after Asr on Fridays. There's singles, family and a VIP sections. You can rent your own viewing room complete with private service and dinner included, no abaya needed.
6. See (or participate in!) a golf tournament. The Dirab Golf & Country Club is hosting the AMEX 19th Annual Golf Tournament on the 28th and 29th March. This golf club is worth visiting because it has stunning scenery, a nice restaurant, swimming pools and horse stables with beautiful Arabian horses. http://www.dirabgolf.com/Default.aspx
8. Go to the desert every weekend for a nice walk with a group of expats! Email me for details, expats only!
P.S for those asking details for opening times/family days of National Museum please check this link: http://www.arriyadh.com/Eng/Tourism/Left/KingAbdula/getdocument.aspx?f=/openshare/Eng/Tourism/Left/KingAbdula/National-Museum.doc_cvt.htm